What we do
The Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa is an independent body set up by the marketing and communications industry to ensure that its system for self- regulation works in the public interest. It enforces a Code of Advertising Practice, providing the basis of arbitration for disputes within the industry or between advertisers and consumers.
OBJECTS, VISION AND MISSION
The objects of the Company are to:
- ensure both in the public interest and in the interest of the advertising industry that advertising in South Africa, other than political advertising which does not fall within the company’s remit, can be trusted;
- adopt a Code of Advertising to regulate advertising in South Africa, that will be enforced fairly, through self-imposed regulation, in a manner consistent with principles of accountability and transparency in order to provide a system of recourse for those who may have been harmed or prejudiced by an advertisement;
- adopt a Code of sponsorship to regulate sponsorship in South Africa that will be enforced fairly, through self-imposed regulation, in a manner consistent with principles of accountability and transparency to provide a system of recourse for persons involved in any aspect of sponsorship who may have been harmed or prejudiced by any act or omission of any fellow sponsor or third party;
- persuade legal persons, corporations or organisations, or any legal person to which they may be affiliated, and which are concerned with:
- the preparation, printing, broadcasting or dissemination of advertising;
- the marketing of goods, whether corporeal or incorporeal, or services;
- the protection of consumers or any industry; and
- to become Members of the Company.
of the Company is to ensure trustworthy advertising in South Africa in the interest of consumers and producers and publishers of advertisements.